Monday, January 31, 2011

A Room With A View: Writers' Rooms

As writers, we need a room of our own. Virginia Woolf said it so long ago, but it's still true. And for me, it's still as elusive as when I read those words as an undergrad. (Yes, I'm also still working on the whole independently wealthy bit.)

So until I finally get my "room," I moon over the rooms of others. Like Lorelei V's:


 According to her blog, it's half-way between Jane Austen and Tina Fey. But I think it's still lovelier than mine (which is NOT a room, but more like a corner).

Check out Michael Pollen's "room":


The man has taken the room out of the house entirely.

Roald Dalh has one that is similar (but not as pretty on the inside).

And then I think, why not make it even more removed. Like a room up a tree:


Here you would have to let down the ladder if you wanted anyone to come up. Which, of course, you wouldn't. And then they'd have to hike wearily back to the house.

A tree house appeals to me, also, because it would allow me to live out my whole Blue Lagoon fantasy (sans half-naked crush, of course.)

How about a tree globe?


No one would even know it was a room.

1 comment:

  1. This was a fun post to read and look at, Reija! I love that little globe--where is it?

    ReplyDelete