Sunday, January 2, 2011

Hole Lotta Love: First Publishing Credit

Have you ever Googled yourself? If I was really "cool," I wouldn't do it. But sometimes a girl can't help it.

I actually stumbled upon something I never expected to find: my first ever publishing credit, courtesy of Google Books.

When I was thirteen, I had a Spin Magazine subscription (because I was "cool"). Boy was I excited to get the October 1998 issue featuring my favourite band of all time: Hole. After devouring the article, I ripped out the photos, adding them to the collage of band photos plastered across my bedroom walls. After that, I wrote a letter. And guess what? They actually published it!


Reading it now, I'm a little embarrassed. I sound like one of those naive Kurt Cobain devotees, from the teenage cult of Nirvana. And I guess I was just that. I don't even listen to Nirvana anymore (unless I want to feel nostalgic).

I totally dissed Courtney Love in my letter. And while she's definitely not without things to be called out on, my criticism of her was unfair.

Sorry, Courtney.

No comments:

Post a Comment